Type to search

I recently test drove the all-new 2021 Nissan Rogue, and I completely loved it. It’s attractive, quiet, nimble and connected. But a funny thing happened when I started posting photos and videos to social media. I got a deluge of comments that were some variation of this: Nice SUV, too bad it has the Nissan CVT.

I’m not a fan of a “continuously variable transmission” in any vehicle, so frankly, I hadn’t given Nissan’s version any particular thought. But somewhere around the 100th comment (not exaggerating), I figured this might be something worth digging into.

So, what’s the deal? Is the Nissan CVT really that horrible?

A little background

First, if you aren’t familiar with the term, a CVT is a single-speed or stepless transmission that uses a pulley system to change gear ratios. There are tons (and tons) of videos and animations that demonstration how it operates, and if you want to see it action, you can simply consult the google, but I thought this one did a fairly good job of showing how a CVT operates without going too far into the weeds.

The Nissan CVT, called Xtronic, is currently in its third generation, which debuted in 2011. However, this CVT itself has been around a bit longer than that. According to Nissan’s consumer site, it debuted globally in 1992, but it didn’t make its first U.S. appearance until the 2003 Murano. Since then, it’s been used prolifically throughout the lineup, appearing in Altima, Maxima, Kicks, Rogue, Rogue Sport, Murano, Versa and Sentra. It was also used in the previous-generation Pathfinder – so 2021 and before – as well as the discontinued Juke and Versa Note.

Maybe the better question is: Which vehicles don’t have it? That would be Armada, Pathfinder (2022 and later), Frontier and Titan.

In an FAQ at the bottom of its CVT primer, Nissan stops short of calling the CVT reliable, but it does say it has fewer moving parts, which reduce friction and heat. Thus, it “may” last longer than a traditional transmission.

Where there’s smoke

However, as the sheer volume of comments on my social posts suggest, the Nissan CVT has an incredibly bad reputation.

So, is it justified? Well, kind of.

Looking at sites like CarComplaints.com and ConsumerReports.org, you can see that the Nissan vehicles equipped with older CVTs are plagued with owners complaining of rough shifts, chattering noises, slipping and bucking – among other complaints. In fact, some of those vehicles, such as the 2013-2014 Altima, get a special badge on CarComplaints.com: “Avoid like the plague.”

And then there are the lawsuits.

It looks like the bulk of the lawsuits center around 2013-2014 models, with the primary complaints coming from Altima, Pathfinder and Rogue. But there are slew of other lawsuits covering pretty much every vehicle that has been equipped with Nissan’s CVT. CarComplaints.com gives a fairly comprehensive list on its most recent article regarding a new lawsuit filed on March 26, 2021, which covers 2014-2016 Rogues and 2015-2016 Pathfinders. When we did a quick search for lawsuits pertaining to the Nissan CVT, the newest model year engaged in litigation is the 2018 model year. Part of that could be the continuous improvements Nissan is making to the CVT. Then, it could also be due to the fact that 2019 and newer models are likely still covered by the 5-year/60K-mile warranty.

The future starts now

In terms of the operation of the Nissan CVT in newer vehicles, I haven’t experienced any of the rough shifts and chattering noises, and frankly, I was pretty impressed with its implementation in the new Rogue.

Nissan did try to allay some of the worries early on by extending the warranty to 10 years/120-miles on the CVT in 2003-2010 model years. But, obviously, it’s 2021, so that’s no longer valid.

At this point, it’s kind of a wait-and-see game.

Nissan has been climbing in the overall reliability of its vehicles, according to the JD Power Vehicle Dependability Studies we’ve looked at, but they still typically fall below the industry average. However, our view: Continuous improvement is, well, continuous. Because these studies look at vehicles that are 3- years old, I’ll be super curious to see the results in 2024 because 2021 is a big year for Nissan with its new and refreshed vehicles.

So, again, wait-and-see.

We did out to Nissan to see if they had any insight on the current CVT and any concerns potential buyers might have, and we received the following statement in reply:

“Nissan makes continuous quality improvements in CVT design and production and we are confident in our CVT technology. The all-new Sentra and all-new Rogue are equipped with the latest generation Xtronic transmission that provides good fuel efficiency, a responsive acceleration feel and a strong drive experience.

“We encourage Nissan customers who have any questions or concerns with their vehicle to visit an authorized Nissan dealer or call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 800-647-7261.”

This makes me think the wait-and-see will turn out on the positive side, and I can personally vouch for the “responsive acceleration” and “strong drive experience” portion of the statement.

The bottom line on the Nissan CVT

Concerns about the reliability of the CVT aren’t a reason to avoid buying a new Nissan vehicle with the next-gen Xtronic CVT, IMHO. However, I will point out that CarComplaints.com does say the cost to repair the transmission, once it’s out of warranty, is going to be around $3,370, which is a tough nut to swallow.

But I’ve never been a fan of making life decisions based on fear and what ifs. If you like the car, buy it.

Related posts:

Tags::
Jill Ciminillo

Jill Ciminillo is the Managing Editor for Pickup Truck + SUV Talk as well as a Chicago-based automotive writer, YouTube personality and podcast host, with her articles and videos appearing in outlets throughout the U.S. Additionally, she co-hosts a weekly radio show on car stuff for a local Chicago station. Previously, Jill has been the automotive editor for both newspaper and broadcast media conglomerates. She is also a past president for the Midwest Automotive Media Association and has the distinction of being the first female president for that organization.

• 1

13 Comments

1. Ted Stewart62341@gmail.com November 3, 2021

I have a Nissan 2013 sentra.i recently started having trouble with The transmission.at 128.000 miles and recently had fluid flushed and was shown metal shavings on the cover plate and was told I would probably lose the transmission sooner or later.i live on a fixed income and do not have the money to replace it.car has 130.000 miles on it I bought it new.lucky me.

2. Michael Russo November 25, 2021

I am a car dealer and the CVT is pure JUNK! I assume every Nissan that I see has a bad transmission. . If it doesnt it will. I promise you! They continue to make this terrible design. Buy something else as you will be much better off.

3. Mamdouh November 29, 2021

The below email have been sent to Nissan costumer compliant middle east on July 2020 and up to date now official reply to my email…

Dear Nissan Team,

On 23rd September 2013, I purchased a motor vehicle (Juke, Model 2013, VIN: JN1BF5MEXDT150277) from Nissan dealership in Kuwait ABDULMOHSEN ABDULAZIZ AL BABTAIN. From day one, I did all the regular maintenance as per Nissan Service Center schedule. The vehicle is under Warranty for 5 years inclusive of Engine, CVT & Electricity parts.
    During the warranty period I complained about the vehicle CVT as the vehicle shakes while it’s starting to move and weak while climbing bridges or elevated roads. As usual the service center finding was that the issue has been resolved. I therefore request you to investigate the Nissan Service Center action about that complaint.

On 20th April 2019, the engine warning sign appeared. So I visited Nissan Service Center to report and then they requested me to leave the vehicle for inspection. After three days, I was informed about their findings; that is, the CVT has to be changed due to “found metal particle inside CVT” as per Inv. Dated 23 Apr 2019, as attached. Surprisingly, the estimated amount given to us is KD/=2,447.650 which is more than the present market value of a good running condition car at that time which is of KD/=1,700.000.

In my desire to find more about Juke “CVT issue” I explore and found out that in U.S.A. Nissan has extended the warranty to ten (10) years due to the same problem. I am providing you the below link for your reference. Having said that I believe my warranty period should also be extended to ten (10) years.

My Comments:

· The vehicle runs only 61556 KM on the date it was reported to Nissan service center.

· All the needed services & spare parts were done by Nissan Service Center as scheduled.

· I believe if service center checked the CVT when I complained during warranty period the same way they did after the warranty expired there is no doubt they will discover the CVT problem.

Your reply is much appreciated,

Mamdouh Farrag

4. Mamdouh November 29, 2021

Sorry, I have to correct my email.
    I believe that Nissan is not looking after their customers after sale, specially the middle east customers

5. Al Al Sanchez January 9, 2022

Cvt by Nissan pure unadultared garbage

6. Joey January 23, 2022

You may want to edit your article. The Nissan LEAF is also CVT-free.

7. Eric mitchell February 15, 2022

My nissan maxima 2014 trim s transmission just went out with 133609 miles on it.The car was towed to nissan dealer and they wanted 7700.00 to put in another one with no assistance from nissan. I took the car to Aamco and they want 7400.00. Nissan does not care, customer service horrible the End !!

8. Beth March 11, 2022

My 2015 Nissan Rogue has what is called the CVT JUTTER. TRANSMISSION IS SHOT! It will cost upwards of 5,000 to fix it! Bought brand new and now it is a piece of crap and can’t buy a new vehicle because of inflation and Market Adjustment fees! Thanks Nissan!

9. Mike March 20, 2022

The lastest class action lawsuit for rogue and Altima is complete garbage. The president was set with the previous settlement on the prior models yet here we are again. This shows that Nissan has ignored the problem and now not standing behind the previous settlement terms. For those that are not aware. The previous settlement was reimbursement or replacement 10yr 120,000 miles. The current suit is 8yrs/84000 miles. This will expedite for.most within one year or exempt those like me that have 90k miles on my 2016 Rogue. FYI, Nissan.. never again for me or my family. BIG Family

10. Mike March 20, 2022

My spell check screwed my last post up.
    Previous settlement 10yr/120000 miles
    The one that is being ruled on this week 3/22
    8yrs/84000miles
    This one will exclude most people in the 2014-2016 class, expire in 1 yr as 2024 is year 8 for all. And exempt anyone who has a reasonable amount of miles at 7-8yrs by industry standards. 12k per year. 84 at 7 and 96 at yr 8

11. CH March 23, 2022

Just replaced the transmission in my wife’s 2014 Rogue at 144k, and after labor, and having to buy a whole transmission from Nissan, we rang up at $4,273. Sad part, we had been taking it to Geri Lynn Nissan since we bought it, and no mention, ever, of the CVT recall.

12. Michael Jones April 10, 2022

Have a 2013 Sentra and changed the CVT fluid every year now and cleaned the trans pan and two filters. Drive real easy and do not tow and don’t foo! With sport eco mode.
    These are delicate and have to be easy on them. Hoping this works. Also live in the South and added a transmission cooler to it.
    The CVT fluid acts to cool and lubricant …Nissan designed it badly…

13. Marvin W. 4/11/22 April 12, 2022

Because there never was a recall. They hid the fact that there were problems with CVT-Transmission even while manufacturer installation. Knowing very well that every CVT Installed had the potential to begin going bad, or exhibiting the Judder/Studder problems. The bands slippage, producing the loud screeching noises, the overheating of the transmission,and the transmission lurching!.. All stemming from a faulty Transmission. Your vehicle will eventually start producing a Check Engine/Transmission Code(s) P0969, Or P0776… In my case Both! NISSAN/JATCO the Japanese Automatic Transmission Company, owned by Nissan again knew prior to transmission being installed they had potentially Big/Hugh problems with their transmission. Yet, the installed them in most every Nissan vehicle. Installed them in Their Sister Companies Mitsubishi Vehicles/Renault Vehicles!.. As well as they sold them to other Automobile Companies, who have these same bad transmissions in their car, and suvs! They then sent out intra-company memos that if and when these problems arose. Deny knowledge of these problems. Dealership were to state to said customers that these problems were the fault of said customer. Announce to said customer that expensive diagnostic would have to be paid for. That after they located these problem Transmission Fault Codes. Now tell customers they needed a New Transmission!.. One that costed thousands of dollars to replace, if your manufacturers warranty had expired… Now whether you Purchased Out Of Pocket, Or it was Replaced through Warranty!.. They Never, Never were to Tell The Customer… They Just Bought, or Just Had Replaced By Warranty… The Same Damn- Bad Ass Transmission They Just Took Out Your Vehicle!… Absolutely No Upgrades, Or Any New Repairs, or New/Better Replacement Parts had been Added to the Transmission They Sold You/Given to You as a Warranty Transmission!… these memos sit in their Dealership service repair areas! I have downloaded these service memos explaining to Service Techs, how to check your vehicle when it comes in for service.. What to look for during the diagnostic period, to determine if once the Transmission Codes have been verified, whether a CVT Valvebody, or entire Transmission Needed replacing. Either way they All Knew, You Vehicles only had minimal repairs, that it would eventually would break down again!… This tome All Warranty Shall Have Expired!!