The curtain has been lifted, and the 2022 GMC Hummer EV is here with a host of unique off-road features, tech and 250-350 miles of range depending on the trim.
Though GMC touted a sub-$80k starting price, the Hummer EV will debut with its top-tier Edition 1 trim, which starts at a cool $112k. And this Hummer EV will have all the bells and whistles.
“The GMC Hummer EV is revolutionary, defying what the industry thinks of as a pickup truck,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “The Edition 1’s tailored off-road content will make Hummer EV’s unprecedented capability and zero-emissions a very special proposition for customers.”
Speaking of bells and whistles, here is the list:
- Extreme Off-Road Package includes 18-inch wheels, 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires, underbody armor, rock sliders, underbody cameras
- Air suspension with available Extract Mode capability
- 4-wheel steer with “CrabWalk” diagonal-drive functionality
- Three-motor e4WD propulsion system (including torque vectoring)
- GM-estimated best-in-class 1,000 horsepower and 11,500 pound-feet of torque
- GM-estimated 350+ miles driving range on a full charge
- 800-volt DC fast charging capability. Hummer EV Edition 1 is expected to have industry-best charging capability at any of the new 350-kilowatt high output public DC fast charging stations — the fastest method supported by current charging standards
- Watts to Freedom for maximum acceleration capability, including a GM-estimated 0-60 mph in approximately 3 seconds
- The latest version of Super Cruise, an available driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles of enabled roads, and a new lane automatic changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols
- Continuous damping Adaptive Ride Control
DESIGN & UTILITY
- Industry-leading Infinity Roof with removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the front trunk
- Power rear drop glass and power tonneau cover
- MultiPro Tailgate
- 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center display
Standard equipment on all Hummer EVs will include Super Cruise capability with three years of service, UltraVision with High Definition Surround Vision, Digital Key, 35-inch-OD tires, Infinity Roof, power rear drop glass, six-function MultiPro Tailgate and more.
The Edition 1 is slated to hit dealers in the fall of 2021, with the 3X trim hitting dealers a year later. The two entry Hummer EVs will follow, with the 2X trim dropping in the spring of 2023 and the base 2 trim, with a starting price of $79,995, not hitting dealers until Spring 2024.
Powering the truck will be GM’s Ultium battery system, and it should provide 100 miles of range in under 10 minutes of charging. The battery cells will be produced as a joint venture with LG Chem, at a new facility, in Lordstown, Ohio.
The Hummer EV truck will be built at the old Hamtramck Assembly Center, renamed Factory ZERO. This name relates to GMC’s plan to have zero emissions.
The bottom line on the 2022 GMC Hummer EV
It’s big, bold, powerful, fast, tech heavy and looks identical to what most people were expecting. Full of cool features like the removable roof and 6-inch air suspension lift, GMC will no doubt sell these. The question is how many and if this will be a mainstream hit or a niche like EVs have been for the past decade plus. Time will tell.