Amping up the cool factor, Chevrolet has taken the Colorado to new heights through collaborating with vehicle modifier AEV to create the Colorado ZR2 AEV concept. Along with a new race inspired ZR2 model, Chevrolet is really showing what its mid-size truck can do.
According to Chevy, the Colorado ZR2 AEV concept, created in collaboration with legendary off-road manufacturer American Expedition Vehicles and featuring the available 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel engine, elevates the already capable ZR2 for even greater adventures.
“ZR2 puts an exclamation point on Chevy’s off-road engineering ability,” said AEV founder Dave Harriton. “Our collaboration taught us that Colorado makes a great platform for building an off-road truck that can take you as far out as you want to go, safely.”
The Colorado ZR2 AEV concept features a Chevrolet Performance development suspension that includes:
- Front and rear jounce shocks, plunging front half-shafts, high-angle upper ball joint and increased stiffness high-angle tie rods
- Long-travel rear leaf spring suspension, anti-wrap link and rear differential cover
- Specially tuned Multimatic DSSVTM Shocks
The concept’s unique content includes:
- AEV front and rear off-road bumpers, complete underbody skid protection, expedition bed rack, high clearance fender flares and high-rise snorkel
- AEV DualSport beadlock wheels
- 35-inch BF Goodrich® KM2 Mud-Terrain tires
- Front and rear high output LED auxiliary lighting
- ARB refrigerator/freezer, Equipt aluminum storage cases, NATO-style fuel cans and James Baroud USA awning in the bed
- Recovery shackles, Hi-Lift jack, Warn 9.5xp-s winch and MAXTRAX
While this concept is very likely to never make production with the amount of aftermarket AEV equipment sourced, it is a great example of how the Colorado can be modified to take off-roading to a whole new level. It is also arguably a very important visual example of the Colorado as Chevy takes its fight to the mid-size leader – the Toyota Tacoma.
The truth is you see a lot of Tacoma pickups modified in this way and it is smart for Chevy to create its own version inspiring consumers to see what’s possible. It comes hot on the heels of the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Midnight and Dusk edition announcements.