Type to search

Design problem or user error? 2022 Toyota Tundra cracked seat after just 5k miles

The new 2022 Toyota Tundra is a ground up redesign, and it has had a rocky start to its first full-year on the market with turbo issues and a variety of other problems. Now, it seems the seat trim on the driver’s side where the seat controls rest is cracking. And it isn’t a small crack. A viewer emailed us to show his 2022 Toyota Tundra cracked seat after just 5k miles.

How did the 2022 Toyota Tundra cracked seat happen?

This crack is massive and is being caused by the way the owner, Dexter Ennis, is getting in and out of his truck. Basically, Ennis is sliding across the seat and putting body weight on the thin plastic as he drops to the ground. He had the part replaced after a discussion with the dealer. Ennis said the dealer agreed to a one-time replacement and have notified Toyota to keep an eye out for more problems.

You can see the crack from footage Ennis sent to us in the video below.

But, wait. There’s more! A few days later, we got another email from an owner with a similar problem.

Then, in the comments for the video, we read other accounts of different brands experiencing the same problem.

Now, some of the comments suggested Ennis is too heavy and his body weight is causing the problem. This can be said for the second owner as well. Both of these guys are in the 250-pounds range. While this is an interesting discussion, there shouldn’t be a weight limit to drive a new truck.

The other commonality between the owners is they both slide across the seat to get out. Some have suggested you should climb up and into the truck, then sit down thereby saving your seat and side bolstering.

The bottom line

This all leads to so many questions. Is this a user error due to sliding or a design flaw manufacturers need to address? How do you get into your truck? Are these things we should even be discussing when truck prices are soaring? Shouldn’t these new, pricey trucks hold up better than this? Let us know in the comments.

Related posts:

Tags::
Tim Esterdahl

Automotive Journalist Tim Esterdahl has been a lover of trucks and SUVs for years. He has covered the industry since 2011 and has pieces in many national magazines and newspapers. In his spare time, he is often found tinkering on his '62 C10 pickup, playing golf, going hunting and hanging out with his wife and kids in Nebraska.

• 1

11 Comments

1. John Swenson July 13, 2022

Design problem. I should not have to sit in truck a certain way to prevent a part from braking.

2. Franco July 30, 2022

Definitely a design problem. Seeing it in Ontario, Canada too. A friend of mine (a mechanic) has one and same problem. User error??? Caaaamon, its a seat cover! That cover looks flimsy and cheap compared to previous generations. I haven’t heard of them ctacking.

3. Tom Hill August 12, 2022

I have a 2022 Toyota Tundra Limited. I also had the seat trim panel crack with less than 5K miles. The dealership replaced the piece with no hassle. Less than two days later, the panel had popped loose. The dealership reinstalled the panel. One month later the panel has popped out of alignment again and the dealership has ordered another part. The dealership also informed me that I was getting out of the truck putting pressure on the part. This is a faulty design.

4. John Weiler August 13, 2022

Mine broke today when I got out . The panel is whole, but the retaining clip broke. I will talk to Toyota when I have it serviced at 5K. It only has 1900 miles on it.

5. Brent Clay August 18, 2022

My 2022 tundra driver seat trim also cracked and has totally broken away at 6000 miles. Street Toyota in Amarillo Tx has part on back order for 1 1/2 month to replace. Will the passenger side do the same thing and I assume the new part will break also if not redesigned

6. Lisa Gordon September 9, 2022

My 4th Tundra and the 22 seats are seriously made of the poorest quality materials. My plastic has not cracked yet but I only weigh 125 and it’s bowing everytime I get in, the correct way! It’s only a matter of time before it cracks from what I can see and I am very careful!

7. Harry Hyslop September 15, 2022

I have a 2022 Tundra Limited Crew Max with only 4400 miles. I noticed after washing my truck and while cleaning the inside that I have the same crack! I took it to the dealer yesterday for the back window seal problem. The service manager checked the two he has on the lot and both of them have the seal problem. He said that he would order a new replacement. So I am taking it in tomorrow hopefully for cracked support replacement. This is not Toyota quality!!!

8. Santiago Gonzales September 19, 2022

I have a 2022 Toyota tundra with around I 7000 miles. I don’t know if i caused a problem but I did notice it when I got it back from the dealership after a recall. but because I didn’t bring it up at the time I can’t complain I have it remedied without them denying it that they are at fault. but I can say that I did not help the situation. My seat panel is cracked and just broke off so now it’s hanging off by the cord of the power seat.

9. Brandon September 23, 2022

I had the exact same problem, but both the driver and passenger sides completely cracked and broke off and were hanging from the wiring. The dealership replaced both today, but I believe the new panels will fail as well. In my opinion, I think the seats are the issue. There isn’t much support on the sides of the seats so when you sit on the edges when climbing in they compress and put pressure on the panels and over time the panels wear out and crack. My fiance owns a newer Highlander and she has similar leather seats and she doesn’t have this problem. Her seats have more support on the edges therefore they don’t compress as much and don’t come into contact with the panels.

10. Chris Finetto September 26, 2022

This is not user error. User error would be one user, or a limited subset. I have same challenge with the plastic seat trim trim cracking after a few months. Any ideas on how to get a replacement part would be appreciated. Assuming I should be a few as this poor design will be a recurring issue.

11. Gerard Bonnar November 5, 2022

My 2022 Tundra is 5 months old and has 3000 miles on it. About a month ago noticed a 3 inch crack on plastic driver side seat cover and cover was not attached correctly. Since then crack has progressed to a broken section. Went to dealer for warrantee claim and he claims it is my fault and wants nearly $522 to replace. Add to this 3 recall visits, cracked light lens that allows trapped moisture in light assembly and causes light to flicker (dealer claims not covered by warrantee since it is “ damaged” even though no visible sign of impact, and wants $2781 to replace), Srs air bag malfunction message keeps intermittently coming on, gas gage not accurate, and you have the most frustrating Toyota I have ever owned. Trying to get a response from Toyota customer service on warrantee claims so I am hoping they will do right with me since dealer doesn’t seem to want to help.