Type to search

With 2022 Toyota Tundra trucks now in customer’s driveways, we are hearing a lot of chatter online about possible problems with the new 3.5-liter V-6 turbocharged engine.

As a refresher, the new 3.5-liter V-6 turbocharged engine replaces the well regarded 5.7-liter V-8, and this new engine has a lot of Toyota faithful concerned. Ford had issues with its similar displacement turbo engine with regards to water collecting and causing the truck to go into limp mode. Also, with the occasional story of turbos failing and causing thousands in repairs, it is natural to be concerned about Toyota’s small displacement turbocharged engine.

So, here’s what we know about any potential 2022 Toyota Tundra turbo problems.

What’s going on with the turbos?

The owner posts we are seeing all point to the same issue: the waste gate. This part “basically helps control the exhaust flow around the turbo turbine. It can help control boost pressure for the turbo,” according to Josh Burns, Toyota Product Communications.

For owners, this means the truck’s check engine light comes on and it needs service ASAP. Some owners are reporting the issue happens with less than 500 miles on the truck.

Complicating the issue is the location of the turbos on the rear of the engine, which means replacement can be tricky to access the part. Owners are reporting the cab is often removed to allow for easier access. To be clear, removing the cab isn’t unusual, and many mechanics have shared with us they do this all the time since engine bays have become quite cramped when working on a truck.

Cab off means this is a simple fix, right? Swap the defective part for the new part.

In theory, that is how it should work, however, part availability is causing some frustration. The fact is, most brand new trucks are followed some time later with replacement parts. For new truck owners, this means waiting for the replacement parts to become available. Combine this with all the supply chain shortages hitting the industry, and some owners could be without their new trucks for quite some time.

How many trucks are affected?

Naturally, you don’t want to get a truck with this problem. From what we can gather, this is a supplier issue with a bad batch of parts, and determining how many trucks are actually affected isn’t something Toyota is currently sharing.

However, that doesn’t mean that Toyota isn’t monitoring the situation.

“As part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, we monitor available vehicle performance information in the field and take action where appropriate to address issues as they arise,” Burns said.

From our reading of the Facebook posts, we count three trucks with an issue related to this waste gate. This is by no means an official count, but it does give some idea on how widespread the issue is for the new truck. If you take our count and, say double or triple it, with forum posts and owners who simply aren’t sharing any issues they are having, you are into the 10s to 20s range of trucks affected.

Considering the truck has been shipped out now for the last few months, we can assume there are now hundreds of new Tundra trucks out there at the time of this article being published. Looking at the number of trucks affected, it looks like a small single-digit problem for the new truck.

What about future problems? This is hard to say. We assume Toyota engineering has already traced the issue to trucks affected using VIN numbers and plant tracking numbers. They have also worked with the supplier on the issue, and our conclusion is this will be a small blip on the radar for the new truck. Our 2022 Toyota Tundra doesn’t have this issue, and we have more than 1,300 miles on the truck.

The bottom line on 2022 Toyota Tundra turbo problems

Every new truck launch is bound to have an issue here or there, and every truck can have an issue years after it was launched since automakers routinely have to change parts throughout the years that generation truck is built. In short, crap happens. Aggravating? For sure.

At the end of the day, Toyota Motor Sales will fix this issue and take care of its customers. It will just mean a little patience (or a lot) until those trucks get fixed.

Related posts:

Tags::
Tim Esterdahl

Automotive Journalist Tim Esterdahl has been a lover of trucks and SUVs for years. He has covered the industry since 2011 and has pieces in many national magazines and newspapers. In his spare time, he is often found tinkering on his '62 C10 pickup, playing golf, going hunting and hanging out with his wife and kids in Nebraska.

• 1

You Might also Like

17 Comments

1. Steven J Anderson January 14, 2022

If the engine light goes on for this issue, does it mean drive directly to your Toyota Dealer. There was some posts on Tundras.com Forum. QC issue on Platinum & 1794. When i confronted my dealer the sales manager stated he did not hear of this on the P & 1794 but on the SR5.

My vehicle production date was completed and enroute. Estimated delivery 1/21/2021 – 1/26/2021. I will email you my truck delivery schedule seperately

1. Tim Esterdahl January 14, 2022

Engine light coming on should be treated the same as an alert there is something going on and you should have the dealer look at it immediately.

2. Robert January 20, 2022

Man I don’t wish this on anyone. I was affected by this with the first year of the eco boost in my 2011 f150. And it always happens going down the freeway for a hour or so at a constant speed then pulling off for lunch or gas. Then getting back on the freeway kicking it down to merge into traffic only to have it go into lump mode and needing to pull off so that tractor trailer doesn’t run over you. I ended up getting a prototype put I. Mine . It fixed it but 8 months of in andnout of the shop. I ended up suing Ford settled out of court for 20k. But I did end up with 9 years of no problems after the new intercooler was installed.

3. Jody January 20, 2022

Hi Tim, my son just purchased a 2022 Toyota Tundra from Price Leblanc Toyota in Baton Rouge Louisiana and after driving the truck maybe 75-100 miles it went into limp mode and check engine light came on. After bringing it back dealerships it’s has been diagnosed with the turbo waste gate valve issue. The truck has been in dealership waiting on these new waste gate valves to come in from manufacture. We have been waiting 3 weeks now. So you have another one to add to your list.

1. Tim Esterdahl January 21, 2022

That’s really unfortunate and sorry for your bad luck. Hopefully new parts will start rolling out soon!

4. James Guzman January 25, 2022

The problem is much more wide spread than this article assumes this same issue happened to the only two 2022 tundra owners I even know. One being my current Boss poor guy has less than 250 miles and it’s already in the shop waiting on parts. He was so excited about his new truck. Never buy the first year New model of any vehicle including Toyota. They need to work out all the bugs. Good luck

1. Layton Selzler January 28, 2022

IDK. I’ve bought a few new gens with zero issues. Bought my 16 Tacoma off the assembly line in Oct 15…..not 1 issue. I’m also confident in the fact if there is an issue ,Toyota typically addressees quickly. That being said, global supply chains certainly are an issue now.

5. Greg Storozyk January 27, 2022

Can we bring back the V8 please?

1. MICHAEL LAMBERTI February 17, 2022

No, its a gas abuser

6. J R February 1, 2022

Noticed it has 5 radiators/intercoolers. Noticed Fisher Plow doesn’t list the 2022 Tundra for a snowplow, just the 2021. Found out they want to lift the cab to service the waste gates. Called Toyota to see if I can mount a snow plow. Was told it would void the warranty. Guess the plow will block airflow to all the radiator/intercoolers? Wonder how many owners need to plow their driveways? So it’s either a 2021 model with the 5.7 or competitors that builds a real truck. Something that can handle a plow. Seems they built a techno marvel that can do everything…. but every day work, at least if you live with snow.

7. J R February 5, 2022

Decided to dig into the snowplow side of the comment written above. Called the 800 number and asked again about voiding the warranty. This time it went up the ladder a notch and the result was this new Tundra may not be a fancy toy after all. The Users manual for the the 2022 actually references snow plows and thus used normally would not void the warranty.
    From page 298 of the 2022 Tundra Users Manual.

“When equipment that may
    obstruct a sensor is installed, such
    as a towing eyelet, bumper pro-
    tector (an additional trim strip,
    etc.), bicycle carrier, or snow plow.”

Note that last to words in the quote “snow plow”. There are two more references to snow plow in the manual all dealing with sensors that may require adjustment if using a snow plow.

So it could be concluded that Toyota has planned/thought for the use of a snow plow.

A search of the warranty manual by the Toyota second level case worker did not find any “do not use” conditions there either. That is good news for those who use their trucks as “work trucks” during the winter months. Also left out standing is the why Fisher Plow and many other Plow suppliers haven’t listed a model plow to fit the 2022. But at least one can be mounted based on the user manual statements.

That also doesn’t deal with the waste gate issue but and lifting the cab off/on the frame for 12.9 hours of labor. Hopefully the warranty will at least soften the blow of that issue. But it will not help those who do not have a truck for months much. For those dealing with the issue. Hopefully it is dealt with as quickly as possible for you.

8. MICHAEL LAMBERTI February 17, 2022

I have owned or payed for over 6 Toyota’s. Tundra’s, 4 Runners and Rav 4’s. I will say that Toyota quality is astounding. My current Tundra is a 2018 Crew 1794. I love it. However gas has become a big cost.
    Concerning the new Tundra turbo issue, I suggest that Toyota increase the warranty by 1 year and 20k miles. I know Toyota engineers are on top of this however from a customer satisfaction perspective, they would generate much good will instead of angst.

9. James Harris March 13, 2022

Add me to the list of those affected by this wastegate issue. I bought a ‘22 Tundra last week, and 350 miles later it was in limp mode. I took it back to the dealership, and they’re telling me they can’t even order the replacement supercharger until a Toyota field rep approves it. The field rep will take at least a week to get there.

This means my 30 days of free Wi-Fi and three months of free Sirius satellite radio are wasted. I don’t care too much about that, but the dealership couldn’t offer a loaner vehicle.

10. frank reps March 17, 2022

I have owned several reliable tundras. Ordered a 22 tundra that was in the pipeline ; paid a $1,000 deposit two months before delivery. Read about the Turbo problem ; and told dealer to take my name off the list because of this issue. Dealer refused to return the deposit ; even though it was Not a special order ; and truck had not even been delivered to dealership. Teton Toyota in Idaho Falls Idaho is a tricky dealership. Just bought a 2022 Ford F150 with a V8. No more Toyotas for me.

1. Tim Esterdahl March 17, 2022

Huh. That’s some BS. You should have gotten your $1k back.

11. Scott Mitchell March 30, 2022

Go look at the Ford F-150 cam phaser recalls–huge engine tear down and they are failing all over the place. Also stay away from the plastic oil pans on some years–leaking!

12. Steve April 3, 2022

I have a 2022 tundra platinum with 1000 miles on it I took it in at 900 check engine light came on they reset the engine light took it back at 1200 miles it needs a turbo passenger side said it would be up to three months before I get my Tundra back they did give me a loaner Toyota has a serious turbo engine problem